Edge DNS is an authoritative DNS service. It provides a secure, high-performance, scalable, and highly available edge service for authoritative DNS. Edge DNS uses Akamai's global deployment of thousands of name servers across multiple networks, uses IP Anycast, and relies on a proprietary implementation of the DNS protocol as a common component of the Akamai Intelligent Platform.
Edge DNS complements existing web infrastructures, whether deployed in a private data center or public cloud, connecting users with their desired destination.
Edge DNS features include:
- A proprietary implementation of the DNS protocol that uses Akamai's worldwide DNS infrastructure.
- Support for primary and secondary zones.
- DNSSEC, when Edge DNS is purchased with the Security option feature.
- Zone apex mapping, which reduces DNS lookup times for websites on the Intelligent Platform.
- Alias zones, which base themselves on another Edge DNS zone's resource records.
- Support for vanity name servers, which can point at Edge DNS Anycast IPs. IP Anycast provides a decentralized DNS service to end users. With IP Anycast, you can create a logical name server that comprises multiple physical name servers deployed across multiple networks and continents.
- APIs for programmatic access to reporting data and zone management.
- Log delivery services to access transaction logs.
- Compliance with RFCs 1034 and 1035.
The roles most commonly responsible for managing Edge DNS are site administrators, project managers, and technical support providers.
- Monitor and protect zones
- Take down fraudulent domains
- Monitor and report on service, traffic, and threats
- Monitor and report on events
- Monitor performance with alerts
- Enable log delivery
- Edge DNS Zone Management API
- Akamai Reporting API
- Akamai CLI for Edge DNS
- [Akamai Terraform Provider for Edge DNS](- Akamai Terraform Provider for Edge DNS)
A recipe walks you through an individual API operation using easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions. Each recipe includes detailed code examples, using multiple, popular programming languages.
Updated about 2 months ago